When the economy is hot, every sales team is the best. But when the economy is struggling, competition decreases, as some competitors will choose the path of a deficiency mindset. Companies with a growth mindset prefer to broaden their view and find opportunities for new geographies, industries, and services.
When the economy is struggling, growth-minded organizations focus on these things to build business:
MAKE INVESTMENT IN RELATIONSHIPS BASED ON TRUST
- Connect with the right companies
- Engage with the best people
- Clean out and be true to your pipeline
- Be visible in the market-place. There is nothing to hide from
REFRAME YOUR VALUE PROPOSITION TO REFLECT REALITY
Describe your value with these factors in mind:
- What can you do for your customer?
- How can your company Differentiate from the field?
- Can you highlight in bold terms your value proposition?
- Can you show proof through testimonials?
INCREASE INVESTMENT IN PEOPLE AND YOUR SALES PROCESS
- Implement or bolster a sales methodology
- Double down on coaching and training
- Be consistent with the rigors of sales management
- Avoid being bogged down in the details of the numbers
No matter the market conditions: ensure you have a winning attitude and share it with your team. Companies with a winning attitude and a culture for success sell more, in any market. Companies maintaining a positive attitude know customers have new and even greater needs to be met. These organizations also know their competition is encountering challenges that clear a path for driving new business home.
Successful companies understand that a positive outlook improves the chances of winning. It starts at the top with communication, energy, ongoing motivation, and support.